Poison Bait – When Things get Serious!

Poison bait is a danger that we as dog owners should not underestimate. No matter how good our dog is at anti-toxic bait training, it can still happen that he takes something in our absence. If there is even the slightest suspicion that it could be a poisonous bait, you should take your dog to the vet immediately!

Which symptoms can occur with poisoning?

Depending on the type of poison your dog has ingested, the following symptoms may indicate poisoning. 

  • Vomiting
  • Pale mucous membranes
  • Increased salivation
  • Panting
  • Apathy
  • Circulatory collapse

(Some symptoms also occur with a delay).

Not only Poison bait can be poisonous!

Not every poisoning has its origin in poisoned bait! There are also substances that appear in our everyday life, which seem attractive to your dog as a treat. The following substances should be used with caution and should be kept away from our four-legged friend.

  • Alcohol
  • Cigarette remnants
  • Sweetener
  • Caffeine
  • Antifreeze (Attention: Tastes sweet for dogs!)
  • Rat poison (not only used as bait, but also found in many gardens and public places for pest control)
  • Slug pellets (leads to first symptoms after only 30 minutes!)
  • Various plants, e.g. laburnum, wolfsbane, foxglove, hemlock, belladonna, autumn crocus, poinsettia, geranium, hydrangea
  • Drugs
  • Various foods, e.g. avocado, grapes, cocoa

What should you do if your dog finds poison bait outside?

  • Look for injuries in the mouth of your dog
  • Inform your veterinarian or veterinary clinic if your dog has picked up anything from the bait
  • If possible, pick up the remains of the bait and take it to the clinic
  • Never try to make the dog vomit. This can make the situation worse with pungent substances or various poisons 🙂
  • No own medication! This can cost your dog precious time!
  • Go to the veterinary clinic immediately

By Sarah Mertes

Certified dog trainer